I’m a huge fan of mustard-based sauces and this South Carolina inspired BBQ sauce is a huge hit.
South Carolina BBQ Sauce
This recipe is versatile but tastes especially good with pork and beef. We like it as it is but feel free to experiment – you can ramp up the spice by adding more Tobasco sauce, or even try your own hot sauce.
- 3/4 Cup Yellow Mustard Any brand will do, but if you want to be authentic then look for 'French's' or anything that originally came from USA.
- 3/4 Cup Red Wine Vinegar
- 1/2 Cup White Sugar Granulated or caster sugar will do fine here.
- 3 tbsp Brown Sugar
- 2 tbsp Butter
- 2 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tbsp Worcestershire Sauce
- 1/2 tsp Dark Soy Sauce
- 1/2 tsp Tobasco
- 2 tsp Ground Black Pepper
- 1 tsp White Pepper
- Measure all of the ingredients into a saucepan.
- Place the saucepan on a medium-low heat and stir whilst bringing to a gentle simmer.
- Simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occassionally.
- After 10 minutes, remove from the heat and transfer to a clean container – we used an old pickle jar!
- Let cool before storing in the fridge for up to 4 weeks.